The Adventures of a Teacher in Southwest Baltimore
So I've finally gotten it together enough to share my life with the rest of you. It's only taken three months to get settled into my new city, my new job, my new friends... my new life. Every day is surreal as an inner-city teacher, so I've got plenty of stories to entertain you and experiences to (hopefully) inspire you.
For those of you who don't know, I am currently teaching Spanish to 11th graders at Baltimore City Public School #430 - the new Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Art at the Southwestern Campus. We are one of four schools that share the building, which has been a challenge in itself. My students come from some of the worst neighborhoods in southwest Baltimore, which explains why our school is considered one of the most dangerous in the state. Murder, gang violence, drug running, physical abuse, and broken homes are the norm for most of my students. All but a handful of my students are on an elementary reading level (if they can read or write at all). Many can't tell time to see what class they should be in or count change when paying for food in the cafeteria. They have one year left in school before they are on their own in the real world.
It has taken infinite energy and passion to reach my students. The first couple of months were a huge struggle, and looking back on it, I don't even know how I survived them. However, as we finish up our first semester together, I realize how much progress we've made. My favorite part of the day is spent with my students.
Teaching is a series of highs and lows - sometimes more lows than anything. But then you see a child's face light up when they finally "get it" or you overhear students talk about how empowered they feel after you finish giving a lesson that you spent six hours preparing. And it makes it all worth it.
So that's a pretty rough introduction, but I think you get the point. There will be plenty of incredible stories, so please visit back again soon.
For those of you who don't know, I am currently teaching Spanish to 11th graders at Baltimore City Public School #430 - the new Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Art at the Southwestern Campus. We are one of four schools that share the building, which has been a challenge in itself. My students come from some of the worst neighborhoods in southwest Baltimore, which explains why our school is considered one of the most dangerous in the state. Murder, gang violence, drug running, physical abuse, and broken homes are the norm for most of my students. All but a handful of my students are on an elementary reading level (if they can read or write at all). Many can't tell time to see what class they should be in or count change when paying for food in the cafeteria. They have one year left in school before they are on their own in the real world.
It has taken infinite energy and passion to reach my students. The first couple of months were a huge struggle, and looking back on it, I don't even know how I survived them. However, as we finish up our first semester together, I realize how much progress we've made. My favorite part of the day is spent with my students.
Teaching is a series of highs and lows - sometimes more lows than anything. But then you see a child's face light up when they finally "get it" or you overhear students talk about how empowered they feel after you finish giving a lesson that you spent six hours preparing. And it makes it all worth it.
So that's a pretty rough introduction, but I think you get the point. There will be plenty of incredible stories, so please visit back again soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home